The LoRa(Long range) technology permits data transmission over long distances with a low power consumption rate. Unlike other GPS devices, the LoRa GPS enables data transmission at a slower rate over long ranges. This makes the LoRa GPS an ideal tracker for battery-operated applications.
How a LoRa GPS tracker works
The LoRa GPS works by receiving the subject’s geo-location and recording the data in its memory. It then conveys the received data through a secure channel to any nearby LoRaWAN gateway device occasionally. This data is then sent by the LoRaWAN gateway over to the cloud servers appropriately. The cloud servers process all the received data using complex data science techniques.
LoRa GPS applications and usage
The LoRa GPS has numerous applications and usages in multiple fields. They include;
- Shipment tracking – The LoRa GPS is an efficient and ideal fit for tracking shipments. Numerous transportation companies are using the LoRa GPS since most of them encounter challenges of delivering their packages well secured and on time.
- Assets tracking – Most assets are involved in places where there is a lot of mobilization. When installed, the LoRawWAN GPS safeguards all valuable items preventing their loss.
- Pet tracking – Always monitor the location of your pets conveniently using the LoRa GPS.
- Child tracking – The LoRa GPS is installed on kids’ clothing or armbands to help track and monitor their movement at all times.
- Patients tracking – Since most critical patients and older people are at a high health risk. The LoRa GPS is convenient for them to carry, to be helped anytime when the need arises.
- Vehicle tracking – Install the LoRa GPS on your vehicle or automobile and protect it from theft.
Components of a LoRa GPS tracker
A LoRa GPS has several parts. They include;
- Geo-location module
- Processing unit
- Motion detector
MOKOLoRa GPS devices
- LW001-BG: LoRaWAN GPS Tracker
- LW002-TH : LoRaWAN Temperature & Humidity Sensor
- LW004-PB: LoRaWAN Panic Button
- LW004-CT :LoRaWANContact Tracing Wearables
Below are the common features available in all MOKOLoRa GPS devices
- They use the MokoLora app to configure OTAA and ABP modes.
- They consume less power and have a 5 years standby time.
- Have an in-built sensor of tracking motion.
- They are much more accessible since they use the free frequency bandwidths.
- Uses the OTA (over the air) capability in updating their operating system, software, and firmware.
- They all apply the LoRaWAN protocol.
- They perform high-accuracy GPS positioning of up to 5 meters.
Advantages of LoRa GPS
The LoRa GPS trackers have numerous advantages. They include;
- Easily accessible – All LoRa GPS work using open source frequencies and bandwidths, making them easily accessible and ensures efficient operations on all platforms.
- Advanced security – LoRa GPS comes with numerous security layers, and all communications of data are end-to-end encrypted.
- Consumes less power -The most significant advantage of a LoRaWAN GPS tracker is that they consume very little power. Therefore, they effectively operate for years as their battery life is long.
- Accurate – LoRa GPS trackers offer a very high accuracy across a wide area, making it easy to track asset movements over a long range.
- Improved Connectivity – LoRa GPS efficiently transmits the data it receives to the cloud servers. On the other hand, the cloud servers quickly process and analyzes the information it receives.
How to estimate a geo-location of a LoRa GPS?
There are three most common techniques applied when estimating the geo-location of an ESP32 GPS LoRa device. They include; triangulation, trilateration, and multi-lateration. It is essential to choose the most suitable technique depending on the end node’s general information. The triangulation technique uses angles of incidence of the signal sent by the transmitter. The signal’s two angles of incidence define a triangle. The three circle’s point of intersection is taken as the geo-location.
On the other hand, the multi-lateration technique applies the time difference of arrival (TDOA) to compute the geo-location. Although the method does not require the receivers to be synchronized, the transmitters must be synchronized. Hence, the point of intersection of two hyperbolas serves as the geo-location in this technique. The gateways must be synchronized, but the tracking IoT system doesn’t need any synchronization.
When estimating a geo-location in a LoRa GPS tracker, data is sent whenever each gateway receives a packet. The information transmitted is used to compute the TDOA. The trilateration technique is applied when the RSSI is well-known. However, the TDOA brings a better accuracy than RSSI.
As shown below, the trilateration technique consists of the following phases.
LoRa GPS module
The LoRa GPS module uses radio modules with in-built technologies when added to its application. MOKOLoRa offers the RF-LORA modules in its GPS devices. These radio modules add wireless functionality as they can be easily embedded.
The RF- LoRa modules make the LoRa technology more popular for Internet of Things GPS applications. The RF- LoRa is a more powerful module since it can achieve a range of over 50km in most of its applications. The module makes LoRa GPS more appealing in numerous applications as it applies a high interference immunity and the spread spectrum to transmit data.
How to make a vehicle tracking system based on LoRa GPS Arduino
Below you will learn steps to follow when making a vehicle tracking system using the LoRa GPS and Arduino.
Step 1: Link the GPS RX and TX pins to D3 and D 4
Connect the GPS TX to the Arduino’s board D4 and the RX to the Arduino’s board D3. A software serial can be used for communication with the GPS.
Step 2: Connect the Arduino’s board D8 to D13 with the LCD
It is essential to have an LCD breakout board to connect with the LCD. Link the LCD with the Arduino board as follows;
- RS – D13
- EN – D12
- D7 – D8
- D6 – D9
- D5 – D10
- D4 – D11
Step 3: Add a small library to the GPS
Before making a code, it is essential first to add a small library to the GPS. Browse through the website and download the library. Use the added zip option to add the library.
Step 4: Use the attachment to download the Arduino code
First, change the mobile number before downloading the code. This will help you receive the SMS
Step5: Type “TRACK VEHICLE” on the sim
Activate the hardware and download the code. Use a GSM module to check the network range indicated by a blink of the network LED.
Step 6: Receive the response SMS
The GSM module directs an SMS with GPS coordinates to the registered mobile number. The SMS has a web link that redirects to Google maps.
Step 7: Track the vehicle by clicking the weblink
Click the weblink to track the vehicle using Google maps.
Tips to selecting the best GPS tracker
It is essential to consider various factors before determining the ideal GPS tracker to install in your vehicle. So, when selecting a GPS tracker, what are the tips?
- Affordability – It is essential to select a GPS suitable for your needs. The price tags of GPS trackers are sometimes altered because of the exclusions and inclusions such as impact sensors, fuel sensors, etc., in the device.
- Geo-fencing zone feature – The geo-fencing zone feature sets up the predominant zones on the GPS. The feature helps the owner know the vehicle’s exact position since it sends a notification whenever it leaves a particular zone.
- Notification feature – An ideal GPS tracker provides real-time alerts and notifications.
- Quality of the hardware – When selecting a GPS tracker, it is essential to consider the quality of the hardware. The best GPS trackers are of high quality, waterproof, and resistant to heat and impact.
- Provides voice instructions – Select a cloud-based GPS tracker that offers voice instructions and analytics. This allows you always to keep track of your vehicle’s predictive performance.
- Mapping providers’ details – A GPS tracker with a mapping feature of excellent quality makes it easy to zoom the position of the GPS. Also, the feature has several other views like satellite, bird-eye, and street maps.
- Easy to install – Sometimes, it is hard to mount and maintain a GPS tracker. Always obtain GPS trackers with fewer buttons since they are easy to connect and operate.
Why consider MOKOLoRa GPS trackers?
All MOKOLoRa GPS trackers are based on the LoRaWAN protocol. All our LoRa GPS trackers have the capability of lasting up to 5 years as they consume less power. Also, our trackers are in-built and offer high precision and accuracy. This is beneficial as the GPS can be deployed to any application that requires high efficiency and provision control.
Our GPS trackers permit live tracking of fast-paced products as they all have a 9-axis motion sensor. What could you be waiting for? Purchase the best LoRa GPS tracker from MOKOLoRa for any of your GPS tracking solutions.