Most cities have streetlights that consume huge amounts of energy. In their operations, these lights represent over 60 percent of the total energy bills charged. Besides, the current models of streetlights are energy-inefficient since most of them are not optimized. For instance, multiple streetlights operate on a fixed schedule of the binary ON and OFF settings. Hence, they do not conserve energy as the lights are incapable of dimming during twilight.
MOKOLoRa has developed LoRa light by integrating its IoT devices with the wireless LoRa technology in smart lighting applications, enabling easy remote control of the street lights. This minimizes the cost of energy as the lights can automatically adjust their activeness time. By connecting LoRa light to IoT, these utilities increase their effectiveness when linked with other applications.
The power of LoRa light in various sectors
The LoRaWAN protocol nature of interoperability enables easy fitting of smart lighting solutions into a greater application network in smart cities. This allows easy monitoring of everything from traffic, parking, weather emergencies to air quality and even the detection of guns.
- Smart street light operators: LoRa light enable street light operators to easily monitor the performance of lights as they can be remotely controlled.
- LED street light manufacturers: They can use the data collected by LoRa lights to acquire insights on how the effectiveness and efficiency of lights can be improved.
- Residential colony facility management companies: Controlling lights based on occupancy or natural light can save energy and money while also reducing carbon footprint. In high-traffic areas, data insights from sensors can help identify inefficiencies and safety hazards, improve maintenance, and optimize resource utilization.
- Parking lots management companies: The data captured by the sensors in the LoRa light will be transferred to the gateway, and then send signals to the parking lot operator if maintenance is needed. Additionally, the sensors can detect the presence of vehicles and adjust the lighting accordingly by increasing brightness levels.
- Municipalities: Since LoRa lights are automatically controlled, they enable municipalities to save large amounts of energy and cost.
Applications of LoRa light
Light scheduling and controls
Street lights enable automatic switching and control of the dimming effects of all the lighting fixtures. Moreover, they offer real-time feedback in case of a change occurrence, thus essential in unlocking the awareness of the in-depth grid. Lights control reduces the cost of energy by up to 60 percent, while light scheduling offers a potential operational cost of up to 42 percent.
Smart lights integrated with microphone sensors enhance anti-theft protection. They help reduce local crimes by notifying law enforcers of the problems likely to occur by capturing ambient sounds. Moreover, smart lights also provide data that assists city managers in enhancing traffic flow.
Individual light metering
Smart lights are embedded with individual meters that allow the traffic equipment to meet with the grid of power source. The meters are developed in a way that they can transmit the data of the energy consumed without necessarily reading the meter manually.
Dead lamp alert for maintenance
Smart lighting systems remotely notify city engineers when lamps fail to work appropriately. Any defective part of a smart lighting system requires prompt replacement to minimize the chances of any extra billing not being used.
How LoRa street lights work
MOKOLoRa smart street lights enable real-time analytics, and fewer costs of energy, sensing, and cloud computing, all while maintaining the citizen’s safeness.
Sensors enabled with LoRa technology are embedded in street lamps. They control the functions of the lamps. The lamps are linked to a LoRa-based gateway by the sensors. The gateways effectively handle all the data and messages collected by the sensors from the closed lamps.
Once the gateway receives the messages, it forwards them to a network server for analysis. The server remotely controls the lights and sends any maintainer alert once a defective bulb is detected or any other problem is noticed.
Advantages of LoRa light
• They consume low energy, thus helping to save energy.
• They allow real-time operations as they can uniquely identify and detect faulty lights.
• They are easy to install and control.
• They allow live monitoring of the lights through the cloud-based software program.
• They enable the users to save more as they can be easily retrofitted in existing street lights during installation.
• As they are installed for security reasons, they offer comfort and safety to the citizens.
• These lights can be remotely turned ON/OFF.
• They encrypt all the data they transmit to and from the lights for safety purposes.
Challenges of street smart LoRa light
It is imperative to understand the challenges facing LoRa street lights and find a solution by paying extra close attention. Some of the challenges of LoRa smart street lights are;
a) Inflated product parameters – Instances of product parameters often happen as some manufacturers aim to increase their profits by catching the eyes of consumers.
b) Using counterfeit smart light components – Some undesirable manufacturers may develop bogus components to assemble their smart lights, leaving customers with a product quality defect.
c) Irrational light distribution design – When the distribution of lightning design is unreasonable, it causes an unpleasant illumination effect.
d) Destructive materials that affect the light’s lifespan – These harmful materials cause a significant impact on the performance of LoRa street lights. For instance, they can cause a premature malfunction of the street lights.
e) Failure of driving power – If a driving power fails, it can prevent lights from working, cause lamps to blink, or damage some components of the street light.
MOKOLoRa develops smart street lights using LoRa technology that controls the lights anytime when required. Through LoRa light, we help our customers minimize the cost of energy. Our lights are programmed so that they are aware of the context. This implies that the lights can stay long enough as needed. Moreover, our street lights can record data from traffic sensors that can be used to identify the streets that are more prone to accidents. Visit us and acquire the best LoRa light for your everyday solutions.